Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Good Grub: Goose Island Night Stalker

Technically, this post is about beer, not food, but it was so good, it was worth the post. After my beer group's distillery tour, we walked over to Mission Dolores for a few brews. I saw Goose Island Night Stalker on the menu for a price of $6 for an 8oz glass. That immediately piqued my interest even though it didn't really say what kind of beer it was. I would imagine something called "Night Stalker" would be dark, which is right up my alley. The fact it was being served in such a small container tells me it's rich, another plus in my book. I assumed it would be some thick, dark, chocolaty stout. My senses were going crazy!

I let someone talk me into trying something different, the special cask beer. It was a Southern Tier 2X IPA w/ an alcohol content of 8.5%. Enjoyable, but nothing to write home about. It was nutty and interesting. When I finished that off, I was happy to grab my Night Stalker. What an experience!

It was served in a smaller glass, something you might serve scotch on the rocks in. It was thick and dark, like I imagined. It was a sipping beer. I would almost compare it to a Bourbon. I have never had a beer like this on tap before! I was deliriously happy!
The taste...Definitely roasted and heavy, almost a little bitter. There were slight notes of caramel and maybe a little mocha or chocolate- nothing as strong as any other chocolate stout I've had, but much, much richer and silky. I could have had another glass and sipped that contentedly all night long, but I stayed within my two beer limit. Also, at nearly 12% alcohol content, I think two would have been more than enough! I regretted having the first cask beer instead of just two of the Night Stalkers that I wanted from the start, but I have to try new things if I'm ever going to expand my palate.
Night Stalker is brewed out in IL. Had I known then what I know now, I would have been a lot happier during my trips out to Chi-Town! 
I don't venture into Brooklyn as often as I used to, but if I had to, this bar would be at the top of my haunts....If not for the chill vibe and cool attitude of the staff; for the fantastic array of beers on tap and for the chance of encountering the Night Stalker once again.
Two VERY enthusiastic thumbs up!
Mission Dolores
249 4th Ave
Brooklyn, NY

Goose Island- Chicago's Craft Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment