Thursday, December 23, 2010

Coquito? ¡Sí, por favor!

I haven't had authentic Coquito (Puerto Rican eggnog) since I lived with my Puerto Rican boyfriend. He was hardcore. He grated coconuts and made his own coconut milk. He steeped cinnamon sticks in the milk to impart the flavor. He let that concoction sit for days in the fridge, and only touched it to shake it up every now and again. Hardcore, I tell ya!

I found a recipe on the internet that leaves out the raw egg that authentic eggnog calls for. There's a way to pasteurize the whole mixture and make it safe, but who has time for that? I'm at work right now, and I shouldn't even be here.

I was turned away from the blood bank today. My blood sugar was too low, my blood pressure was way too low, and so were my iron levels. They told me to come back next week when I'm healthier. Dammit. =( So, I came to work. I know, I'm nuts but whatever.

Anyway, I'm making batches of this stuff and bottling it to give to my friends with some cookies. I'm heading to AC Moore to buy some empty bottles and I think this will be a very nice gift to give my lush-tastic comrades! If you like eggnog and coconut, you're gonna love coquito!! I'm making mine tonight. Let me know how all of yours come out if you try it.
Coquito

Yield: About 8-10 bottles, depending on size.

Recipe:
1 quart store bought eggnog
1 cans of coconut cream (Coco Lopez)
1 can condensed milk (12 – 14 ounces)
1 can evaporated milk (12 – 14 ounces)
1 can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Cinnamon sticks (one for each bottle)
½ cup of Puerto Rican white rum
½ cup Coconut Rum
¼ cup Bacardi 151 proof rum
½ coconut grated or 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)

Mix all the ingredients well (use a blender if you want, but it's not necessary), bottle with one cinnamon stick in each bottle and store in refrigerator.  Serve it with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled on top.  

I leave the grated coconut as "optional" because it can be a pain in the ass while you're drinking. I love the flavor of  coconut, but the texture can get annoying after a while. It's up to you.

Please note that as you are making this you will be tasting and adjusting for your own taste...be careful not to sip too much. The 151 can knock you out on your ass faster than you know it!

¡Feliz Navidad y Buen Provecho! 

No comments:

Post a Comment