Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Duck Bacon

I went to dinner at Butter for restaurant week. The entree of braised short ribs with hominy was quite disappointing, and I don't even remember what I had for dessert. It may have been a tart of some sort with fruit and ice cream.

What this post is about is the Duck Bacon. Yes, you read that right.

I've been to Butter twice before for Restaurant Week. It's not a wallet-friendly restaurant, but it's not crazy, over-the-top expensive, either. I worked with the executive chef Alex Guarnaschelli, while I stag'd at school. She was fun, smart, easy to work with, and super-duper nice for a successful woman chef. I was so happy to see her on the Food Network. I know of no other female chef who deserves it more! (I'm talking to YOU, Anne 'GO GET THIS FOR ME NOW' Burrel. Yeah, bitch, I remember how rude, nasty, and temperamental you were!)

Both times before, I had ordered some form of duck entree, and LOVED it each time. Butter didn't post their restaurant week menu online this time. I am usually skeptical going to a restaurant without knowing their menu before hand. Some places like to offer up the most mundane restaurant week menu that you don't see till you get there, and most foodies will order off the regular menu because they're already there, and they'd rather not eat boring food- even if it is prix fixed. Sneaky bastards!

Anyway, there was no duck on the entree list on the restaurant week pickings. However, there was a charcuterie platter as an appetizer with various cuts of meat, including smoked duck breast, sliced paper thin: In other words- DUCK BACON!

Oh, it was heavenly! I could still taste the gaminess of the duck, and it was cold, but so smokey and delicious!! There was even a foie gras mousseline (a duck liverwurst, if you will) that you spread on top of some housemade toast points with pickled shredded veggies on the side. It was fantastic!

So, it was a first for me: Duck Bacon. I've seen duck prosciutto on several travel shows, but I have yet to find it yet. Maybe  a more high end gourmet place in Manhattan (who will, no doubt, charge through the nose for it) may carry it. It will have to wait till I have more catering money in my pocket or for some super special occasion. I've been good about not over-indulging this year on food. I need to lose weight, get healthier, and save the money.

The service at Butter was cold and rushed, but I don't remember them being too awesome about service in the past anyway. My dinner partner and I did take our time eating and talking. We weren't rushed out of there, but we eventually gave up the table because the guy who sat next to us had such horrendous body odor. Ick.

Overall, Butter still delivers innovative American cuisine, and although my entree was okay, the fantastic app more than made up for it. If I ever have extra in my food budget again, I'd go back to order off the regular menu because there's a duck entree with my name written all over it!

Go give them a try:

Butter
415 Lafayette St # A
New York, NY 10003
(212) 253-2828

4 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty amazing. Now I'm slightly jealous I didn't go. Holy crap that means you can make a duck BLT! WHAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't the best Restaurant Week menu I've had, and certainly not the best Butter meal I've had, either. But, the creativity she had over the duck compelled me to write about it.

    On a totally different note, your passion for you craft has lit the fire under my ass. You always make it a point to draw or write or post something on one of your blogs about your art. I'm going to try and do the same thing about food. I mean, I eat every day. I have to find something interesting to write about! What kind of chef, cake artist, blogger/writer would I be if I didn't make the effort? So, thanks for that.

    And nice avatar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really really sorry...February 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks for the kind words! I'm trying to keep up with creative stuff and get better. Usually when I light a fire under someone's ass they get pretty pissed for ruining their pants :D

    You should be doing more stuff! You can write and bake and make artsy crafty stuff! It's just a matter of time before someone notices and gives you your own web show or podcast thing!

    ReplyDelete