Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I'm Still Here

It's been a crazy week!

I personally baked and decorated 15 different cake orders over the last 7 days. That's a new personal best for me!!

I can go into each individual account of each cake, but that's boring and some of them were pretty easy compared to the interesting ones. I'll start this post off by saying that I learned a lot about myself.

  • When I really do hunker down and prep properly, I am fucking amazing. My cakes bake perfectly. I have fewer waste because I'm not tossing out overcooked or under-baked food. And there is less time spend cutting down the cake to make it perfect for stacking.
  • I'm getting better at multitasking, often handling three different tasks all at the same time. I mix up a batch of batter. While the Kitchenaide is going, I'm prepping pans. After it's in the oven, I'm cleaning the area and loading the dishwasher. Once everything is cleaned, I'm mixing frosting and cutting out fondant decor. My brain doesn't really function on a list-like system. I have to work really hard to focus on the task at hand, without being distracted off the job. It's been harder the last year or two to keep my concentration in check, but with a little more effort, it's doable.Who knew?
  • When I know what I'm going to do to a cake, I can decorate the bitch pretty damn fast. I had a four layer red velvet, cut, filled, stacked, frosted, and covered in less than 10 minutes. Do you know what kind of feet that is for someone like me who can take damn near an hour just to roll out the fondant to the right thickness? I've also gotten to know my product a little better. Weather is NOT my friend. If it's too cold, the fondant won't be elastic. If it's too hot, it won't stay solid. I have to manipulate the temperature in my Dungeon, and if you have ever been down there with me on a hot summer night, you KNOW how fucking unbearable it is down there.
  • I can charge more money for what I do, and I don't need to feel bad about it. After all the work I did, all the materials I bought, I'm only walking away with a marginal profit and that's just unacceptable. Seriously, my time is money and it's time to charge more money for my time.

I'll write a separate post about each of the special cakes I did with more detail, but I can't do it now. Fucking day job.

All I can say is that I did it. I didn't think I'd be able to, but I fucking did it!!!! Holy balls!!!! =)

I'm still here.....


2 comments:

  1. Your a machine m'lady!!

    Whats up with the grizzly joaquin video?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you're"

    The video? I was watching his mockumentary yesterday and the song stuck for a few hours. lol

    ReplyDelete